Monday, December 30, 2013

Nighttime Ritual

Monday Mugshot:

PROMPT: Winter Wonderland

Shoot a mug in a monochromatic white/cream theme

Snow taking on an unusual texture from the falling ice
Pieces of fallen ice littering the walkway. 
Stress plays havoc with my sleep.  Out of sheer exhaustion I will fall asleep on the couch while watching the evening news or shortly thereafter.  My husband wakes me up to go to bed around 9:00.  I will wake up for the day anytime between 12:15 to 1:30 am.  I grade papers, work on lesson plans or get things done on the computer until 5:30 when I start getting ready for work.  I come home from school about 4, change, take Cleo for a walk, cook dinner then stretch out on the couch to watch the evening new and the cycle begins again.  I am exhausted! 
In order to gain control of this exhausting cycle I have created a nighttime ritual.  I must give credit for this idea to Victoria Moran’s book, Younger by the Day; 365 Ways to Rejuvenate Your Body and Revitalize Your Spirit. While is seems very logical, without self-discipline it is difficult to maintain on a nightly basis, and even more so when you are exhausted!
                          Grooming
                          Spiritual Practice
                          Reading
                         Affirming a good night’s sleep
                         (Moran, 121)

I notice a difference when I don’t follow it, only follow some of it, and when I diligently complete the entire ritual.  I am working on my self—discipline to insure I get all the steps done and don’t slip back into the habit of lying out on the couch.

How are you sleeping lately?  Do you have a nightly ritual which helps you sleep better?

Linking up with Monday Mugshot.

Moran, Victoria, Younger by the Day; 365 Ways to Rejuvenate Your Body and Revitalize Your Spirit. New York: HarperCollins, 2004.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by. Please share your insights.