Friday, January 10, 2014
Feeling Estranged from Myself
I didn’t realize it at the time but being unemployed gave me the distance I needed from the constant busyness of work. I didn’t have to deal with the constant stresses of meeting all the mandated teaching requirements which spilled over into my personal time. I had nothing but personal time. And while I did not use it as wisely as I should have – squandering hours watching TV instead of being creative or getting projects completed; I had personal time, something that I hadn’t had in a long time. While teaching, even my summers off weren’t really mine because I spent them getting things done that I wasn’t able to during the school year. I spent that time playing catch up- always feeling behind, never simply enjoying the moment. While I was unemployed I had things I should be doing but work was not stealing away MY time. This awareness makes me realize I really do need a change; I need to get away from this dysfunctional work environment because it is making me dysfunctional. It permeates everything I do, all my thoughts, my creativity is stifled… it literally is stealing me away from ME.
1. A lot of napping took place when we found ourselves snow bound.
2. Our pets have this radar that tells them someone is on the couch with a blanket. They appear out of nowhere then blanket-hog.
3. When the sun isn't shining, it helps to create a sunny, yellow ATC.
4. Forcing myself outside just for a few minutes to snap a few shots cleared my head.
5. While Cleo loves it when we create this "race track" for her around the yard, it was just too cold to play outside this week.
Very grateful for having an extra week to stay at home from school. Thank you Mother Nature!