Sunday, July 30, 2017

Get up. Get Dressed. Paint.: Paper Towel Background

I like the circle design of this paper towel
While perusing Pinterest I discovered a wonderfully inspiring YouTube channel, Bella Rose Creative.  Her videos are easy to follow and most of the products she uses I have.  Intrigued by the simplicity of this technique, Paper Towel Background + Dylusions Spray Inks, I recreated it putting my own spin on it.
I used a black Stabilo pencil and water brush to outline the paper towel (Sparkle brand)

Altering a pressed leaf

While waiting for the modeling paste to dry, I worked on painting a leaf to add to the page.
Adding an initial layer of Mod Podge makes the pressed leaf flexible and less brittle

I kept the layers of paint thin so the veins of the leaf could still be seen.  Using a Signo white pen to trace over them.

I added a a final layer of Golden's Interference Green to give the leaf an iridescent sheen.

Finished Look

I chose to use this leaf stencil in lieu of the hearts that she used.

I tried outlining the leaves with the graphite pen but it just didn't pop enough so I switched to a Sukura black Gelly Roll pen

The design of the paper towel adds an interesting dimension to the layout.

Final Thoughts for this Process

This took a lot of drying time which I don't have the patience for.  If you use a heat gun to dry the initial layer of paper towel and gel medium, the paper towel bubbles so I found it better to allow it to air dry. Add to that the drying time of the modeling paste and it was too long for a single sitting.  I can see this working if you only had small chunks of time to create and you worked on it over several days.  I can see myself using this technique again but as part of a background rather than the entire page.
I encourage you to try this method for yourself to see if its something you want to add to your arsenal of background techniques.

Joining in on the fun at Mixed Media Monthly Challenge - Altered Embellishments with my altered pressed leaf.


1 comment:

  1. fabulous techniques and I love how you altered the leaf. Thanks for joining us at Mixed Media Monthly! =)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by. Please share your insights.