Monday, July 7, 2014

Celebrating One Year of Blogging!

Selfie: working in an art journal

One year ago today I sat nervously at this desk and created my first blog post.  I had already spent several weeks navigating Blogger, selecting the right template, figuring out how to put the blog page together the way I wanted it.  I worried no one would read it.  But then as I visited other bloggers I noticed that many were doing it for themselves, that what I had read was wrong; having tons of followers was not the true objective.  I was learning, stretching, and challenging myself, which was my original intent.

My post have evolved as have my post yet I have not been able to settle into a “routine” for posting.  I have two weekly memes which I participate in and feel at home with and I am challenging myself to post outside of those.  Scary sometimes!  While having tons of followers isn't the objective, knowing there is someone out there reading your posts and leaving comments makes the process more enjoyable.

 Coming to one conclusion

After a year I am still struggling with finding my life’s purpose.  What I have learned is that I want to leave teaching young people.  It is no longer fun nor gratifying. State mandates have taken the spontaneity out of teaching and replaced it with data documentation, test taking mandates, and over all fear mongering.  Now I need to work on the next phase of my life. 

Art Journaling

Still feeling the stress.
Inspired by Patty’s (Radish Blossoms) morning pages, I have begun working in a new journal to just do collage work.  No rules, no judging; just putting in pieces of ephemera that inspire me.   I catch my left brain chiming in and getting bossing at times about coordinating colors and patterns; I’m still working on quieting that voice.  Creating these pages is helping me do that.  I also find myself still waking up 0 dark-thirty (wee hours of the morn).  To alleviate this, I am trying to do some quiet work before going to bed.  Working on these collages helps slow my racing mind, turn off all the to-do lists, and prepare me for sleep.
 
Free Pass: to let go of judging while creating this page

Giveaway is today; tonight 7:00 pm EST to be exact.  I can’t wait!
 
Altered Golden book Junk Journal

Thank you to everyone who has left comments, been supportive, and who are following my humble blog.  I appreciate you all so much!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you Diane, for including me in your inspiring post! Congratulations on one year of blogging! Your pages are wonderful, keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy blogoversary!
    I love the collage pages and the idea of doing them in the evening as part of a winding down routine. I'm working on getting the 'screens' off earlier to help me wind down before I crawl into bed with a book.
    I'm always sad to hear someone who loved to teach reach the decision that it is time for them to stop teaching. I know I don't know you that well, but I am betting you have been an awesome teacher and will be missed.
    That said.... I also send a big wave of support as you step out into something new.
    Huzzah!
    Here's to brave new adventures!

    Go easy ~p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on a year! Big Milestone. It is kind of fun to look back and see where you have started and where you are headed. It takes time to find your voice, and don't worry about regular posting some of us are good at it and some of us aren't. I post when I have something to say, it always surprises my readers that way. I just got done reading a short little book that was filled with lots of good advice for artists - Steal Like An Artist by Austin Kleon. I would high recommend.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by. Please share your insights.