Friday, November 29, 2013

The End of November Brings with it Winter & Change

Winter has arrived.  

Rosebud covered with winter's first snow.

November had many gray days.  When the days get shorter and the dark of night arrives earlier, I find comfort in turning on my collection of ornate lights.  Their warm glow seems to warm the house and give it a cozy feel against the chilly winter air.











Figuring out how to keep up with it all.

I am returning to the classroom full time starting Monday.  While I am happy to be working again, the building to which I have been assigned is the epitome of dysfunction and known for its gang problems.  I worked there before for 3 years and it sucks the life right out of you.  I was not successful in combating the stress of the place and I want to be successful this time.  It is imperative for my sanity! 

Teaching; the job itself will consume you, eating all your time with its countless demands of phone calls to parents, lesson plans, grading of papers, fulfillment of state and school requirements.  I was working a 10 hour day, taking work home then getting up in the wee hours, unable to sleep so I graded papers and did lesson plans until it was time to go to work.  Then I would spend the weekend working on papers and paperwork or entering grades into the computer.   In order to "get it all done" I found that I gave up on everything else.  Burn out was inevitable and it took me nearly 18 months to regain my sanity.  

How do I go about preventing that same scenario from happening again? How do I find time for my art journaling?  How do I continue writing posts for my blog?  How do I keep my appointment every morning with my morning reading ritual?

My question for you is how do you manage to keep up with your blogging and art while working full time?  How do you prevent your job from consuming you?  Please share any and all tips that you have that help you to keep up with it all.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by. Please share your insights.