Saturday, September 2, 2017

Stop Pinning and Make Something! September Link Party

Project: Art Box
Pinterest Board: Mixed Media Mayhem
Pin: HERE

"Window into My Art" box
When I spied the whimsical painted box filled with tags over at The Kathryn Wheel I instantly knew I had to make one for my art.

The Process

 This wooden box had been sitting in my class storage room for a while holding miscellaneous junk.  It was the perfect size.

After paining it white with acrylic paint I began the process of decoupaging it using my favorite decorative napkins.

Beginning with the sides then carefully folding the napkin over the lip of the box towards the inside.

 Completed side after drying for several hours.

 Inside bottom of box

It took all day, working on one side at a time, with one hour of drying time in between to get all four sides and the inside covered.  I used the leftover scraps to cover the partitions.

After allowing it to dry for several days (Michigan humidity) I began decorating it using stamps and paint.

Hardware

After completing some "research" via Pinterest, I decided to use Tim Holtz Idea-ology FOUNDATIONS Metal Box Feet Foundation and Tim Holtz Idea-ology ORNATE PLATES.  


I like how the purple ink seeped through the white embossing

I used this same process for the feet:


This is the glue I went with for attaching the metal pieces to the box.


Finishing Touches

At this point the project stalled as I grappled with how to finish decorating it.  My original thought was to add flourishes but I could not seem to find or make the right ones.  After pursuing the local craft stores I happened upon these chipboard words.  To get them to match the grunge look of the metal I first gessoed them, paying close attention to all the edges.
`

After the gesso dried I covered each word with Distress Oxide ink then embossed them using the same embossing powder used on the metal pieces.

Some of the purple ink peeking through.

Tinted this lace with Dylusions ink spray in bubblegum pink

Eye Candy


Completed box

Inside partitions

Front view

Side view

Back view

Side view

Adding a few of  my art pieces

 It's Your Turn!

Grab the button, start creating and share your link below.
• Please use the direct URL to your blog post rather than to the blog itself.
• If using Flickr or Instagram, use the URL to the photo.
• Include the link to your Pinterest board and pin you used..
Remember to link back to THIS direct URL in your posting.

Go Here to learn about Stop Pinning and Make Something!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my! This is so beautiful! I admire your skill/gift and your patience!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by. Please share your insights.