Friday, August 29, 2014

Sharing the beautiful finds of Traverse City

Sunset over the bay
As the date to return back to school closed in I found myself feeling more and more anxious; consumed with a sense of foreboding of  the dysfunction and violence I will again have to endure throughout the school year.   I felt the urgent need to get away, not run away, simply escape both mentally and physically… to breathe
 I planned a last minute 4 day weekend for the hubby and I in Traverse City, my go-to place when my mind and body tells me screams, “I need a break!”

Day one: Old Mission Peninsula

Following the Quilt Barn Trail
Mission Point Lighthouse

 
Cairns built by tourists


Day two: Northern Michigan Asylum
  
Ghost are rumored to haunt here
 
Entryway into patient's rooms

Underground tunnel

 Day three: Petoskey stone hunting
The search
Breathing space
Messages left behind
Day four: the drive home
An unexpected find: beautiful fields of sunflowers




Farewell… until next year.

Sharing my small joys and finds with Kim Klassen’s Friday Finds and Friday Photo Journal

12 comments:

  1. Such gorgeous finds, Diane! I esp love the pretty red barn (I wish we had them here!) and the marvelous Mission Point Lighthouse. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful trip! Cairns and stone hunting are two of my favorite things, love the messages that were left behind. The field of sunflowers could be a painting. Beautiful images!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful relaxing few days! Cairns and lighthouses are two of my favorite thing! Love how you captured them both! Best wishes for a good year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your tour. The sea is always calming, hope all goes well with your return to school.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of my favorites places! I hope you had a great time, and I will be thinking of you as school starts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful photos, love the sunflowers ! Thanks for sharing your trip :) Best wishes for the new school year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oish, seems one of those places I love to explore! quiet, no people, even a bit of mystery....gorgeous images!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks like you had a most marvelous trip! I want to visit these places, too, now that I've seen your lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those stones are so cool and I really like the shot of the underground tunnel. All the best for the new school year.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fascinating post. The stone cairns were so interesting. Gorgeous field of sunflowers. The Asylum did look pretty creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've done a lot of great shots!

    Thanks for stopping by & leaving some words ... Frauke

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by. Please share your insights.