Saturday, November 9, 2013

Release: Letting go to make room for the new


This has been an emotional 2 weeks.  After getting pink slipped in 2012 I put all my classroom materials in storage.  The cost of storage started to add up and over the past year my thoughts were slowly evolving towards leaving teaching for something else so I made the decision to let it all go.

I learned while going through things that it wasn't the item itself but the memories attached to it that was difficult.  For example, I had this plastic magic wand that lit up and made a magical sound when I pressed the button.  I used to tap students head with it and make them “magically” remember the answer when they would responded “I don’t know” to a question or use it on a student to “magically” make them pay attention.  While goofy, the kids loved it!  It often broke the ice with those hard-to-to-through-to kids.  How do you put .75¢ on something like that?  I learned to walk away when the emotions got overwhelming.  I also learned that after working on this for 2 weeks that exhaustion will make you “not care” any more and it becomes easier to slap $1 on something and move on.  Today is the last day of the sale and I hope to have 90% of it gone as then the problem becomes what to do with what’s left...

My morning reading ritual and working in my journals has been once again been put aside so I will be happy when this is over so I can get back to creating again.  I noticed yesterday the feeling of relief I felt having made this difficult decision and letting it all go.  By doing so I have let the universe know that I am ready for something new.  I can’t wait to find out what that will be!

Linking up with Kin Klassen at Friday Finds.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by. Please share your insights.